Arthurdale

In August 1933 Eleanor Roosevelt visited the impoverished coal town of Scott’s Run, outside Morgantown. Almost immediately afterward, the President, his wife and his advisor, Louis Howe, agreed to purchase the Arthur farm in Preston County to “resettle” this community 15 miles away. Arthurdale, referred to as Eleanor’s Little Village, saw its first families arrive in 1934. Altogether, 165 homesteads were built, along with schools, factories, an inn and other farming-related structures. Today, Arthurdale Heritage, Inc. operates the New Deal Homestead Museum in five original structures: the Center Hall complex, the Forge, the Administration Building, the Esso Station and the E-15 Wagner Homestead. A driving tour of the community is available to the public. (Listed NRHP 1988)

For more information on Arthurdale, visit https://arthurdaleheritage.org/