The construction of the resources and infrastructure in Cabwaylingo were completed in 1935-38. Henry Stamper was a stone mason and medic in Camp Anthony Wayne. His work is identified by the diamond-shaped cut stones as well as the stone cartouche of a pine tree inscribed in the Long Branch Picnic Shelters. His stone work is evident in the chimneys and foundations of the buildings. Mr. Stamper often used grapevine joints in the mortar of his stonework. The “signature” architectural element of Cabwaylingo is a pyramidal stone found at the top of the Entrance/Exit signs and as a cap for all the fireplaces within the forest.
For more information, visit https://wvstateparks.com/park/cabwaylingo-state-forest/