Location: Braxton County
The Sutton Community Building is a classic example of WPA municipal buildings. Completed in 1942, the building is two stories with a flat roof, and a facade of ashlar sandstone. The windows on the building are fixed panes that span three bays. The interior of the building houses the Mayor’s Office, a Post Office and a large auditorium where local schools often hold functions.
The Sutton Community Building has a very central location in the town, across the street from the County Courthouse and Jail. Due to this, in 1987 the Sutton Community Building was included in the nomination of the Downtown Sutton Historical District. Approximately 11 square blocks, the Sutton Historical District consists of many of the buildings on their downtown main street.
For more information: