The forest and its amenities are directly attributable to the development CCC Camp Rhododendron, formerly Camp Preston. A priority for the forest was fire fighting and wildlife food plots to increase hunting and thus, increase state revenues from hunters. The construction work at Cooper’s Rock began in May 1936 with some road and trail development. By the spring of 1937 the men were at work on the permanent structures in the Main Overlook area. The camp was occupied for a total of five years and their projects included road and trail development, picnic shelters, staff residences, fireplaces, water fountains and other recreational amenities.
For more information on Cooper’s Rock, visit https://wvstateparks.com/park/coopers-rock-state-forest/