Eleanor

In 1934, a total of 150 families were selected for the Town of Eleanor, a community of 2,200 acres. Each house plot was three-quarters of an acre to an acre and provided for a barn, chicken pen, garden and a lawn. Built of cinder blocks, the three to five room homes were designed in several basic styles with an average cost of $1,800 to $2,500. The homes were built by the homesteaders, of which 146 still remain. In 1935, the project name was changed from Red House Farms to Eleanor in honor of the First Lady, who is reported to have made five trips to this project. (eligible NRHP)

For more information, please visit http://eleanorwv.com/