Development began in 1933, when three different CCC camps were established: Camp Watoga, Camp Seebert and Camp Will Rogers. The first projects included the road, cabin construction, office/restaurant building, superintendent’s residence and the dam. The arboretum was established in 1938 with six and a half miles of trails. The last CCC project was the swimming pool completed in 1940. Prior to that time the area was a rearing pen for deer, turkey, raccoon and game birds used to restock a seven county area. Watoga State Park opened July 1, 1937 along with three other state parks in West Virginia; Babcock, Cacapon, and Lost River.
For more information, see https://wvstateparks.com/park/watoga-state-park/