Location: Pocahontas County
Camp Seneca was established in 1933 in a large field across from the present-day office headquarters. Until 1938, work projects for the camp included trails, roads, eight rental cabins, picnic areas and the dam for Seneca Lake. Thorny Mountain Fire Tower was erected in 1935. Once the fire tower was in place and manned, fires were greatly reduced in the forest. Reforestation, game and fish improvements and fire hazard reductions were also completed. Cabins 4,5,6,7 are still extant. All 20 miles of hiking trails within the forest were developed by the CCC except for the new trail, Rich Patch Loop. Many of the trail shelters were built by CCC enrollees.
For more information: