Kanawha State Forest

The State purchased 6,705 acres in 1938 to develop a recreational destination and provide forest fire protection for the area. CCC Camp Kanawha was responsible for the construction of the roadways, trails, bridges, picnic shelters and Superintendent’s residence. A dam was built along the creek to create a 1-1/2 acre pond for swimming and fishing. The camp was located on the present site of the swimming pool. The remaining CCC resources are excellent examples of the CCC Rustic architecture style and the history of Camp Kanawha is illustrated with interpretive signage, trails and commemorative markers. (listed NRHP 1993)

pavilion

For more information, visit https://wvstateparks.com/park/kanawha-state-forest/