Tygart Dam Grafton

Construction of Tygart Dam started in 1935 and was completed in 1938. It was one of the first Public Works Administration (PWA) projects initiated to reduce unemployment through the construction of massive, labor intensive projects. Veterans, as well as men from Taylor, Barbour, Preston and other surrounding counties, were given employment preference. At its peak in May of 1936, 1,701 men were employed. The pay was set at 45 cents per hour for non-skilled labor and $1.10 for skilled at a maximum of 30 hours a week. Tygart Dam is currently operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The dam overlook area is open to the public from sunrise to sunset and free public tours are available Fridays in June, July & August. (listed NRHP 1995)

tygart river dam

530 Paul E. Malone Rd, Grafton, WV 26354