The area was first developed by the earliest settlers who saw the potential power of the water of Tomlinson Run and developed numerous mills along the stream. CCC Camp Marshall (1935) was the parent camp for the spur camp at New Cumberland, for park development. Camp Marshall was disbanded in 1941 and the WPA workers entered the park to complete their construction projects. The WPA used the site until 1942 when the dam and the 29 acre lake were completed. The barracks for the camp workers were located at the present-day site of the group camp. Several trails were established during the New Deal era.
For more information visit https://wvstateparks.com/park/tomlinson-run-state-park/