Hawk’s Nest State Park first opened in 1935 as a roadside park when the state purchased 31 acres. The planning was done by the National Park Service. CCC Camp Lee (1935-1942) men built the concession building, public toilet building and other facilities at Hawk’s Nest. CCC Camp Beaver (1937-38) men built the picnic shelter and museum building. The stone work includes the Main Overlook; the Overlook trail fencing; the retaining walls in the parking area and in the picnic area with stone walkways. There are twelve picnic pads with fireplaces built into the back stone retaining walls. The original exhibit display cases that were built specifically for the Museum Building are currently housed in Ansted City Hall and open to the public during operating hours.
For more information visit https://wvstateparks.com/park/hawks-nest-state-park/